Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Collector Car Batteries

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Over the last 3 years have bought original type batteries for the Tbird, GTO and GTX. I bought the Tbird battery about 2 years ago so this will be the 3rd summer. Had it load tested today and it is already shot. My GTO battery is shot also. It is ridiculous that they only last 2 or 3 years. Will be ordering another Tbird original looking battery at the end of this week. It is a no maintenance battery that looks like the original. Unfortunately it costs twice as much as the last one I bought. Anyone else have similar stories?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

GTO Man,

I contacted Farm and Fleet this week, and am kicking around the notion of buying an Optima Red Top to fit the Mustang. Although it would not be original looking and I don’t have starting issues, the price was certainly right, $119 plus tax for the Optima Red Top Maintenance Free Battery. But until my current generic battery with the fake Autolite cover dies, maybe I will just wait.

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

I guess I would also have to ask how important is an OE looking battery that is not cost effective compared to something like an Optima Yellow Top or Red Top in a nice billet cage or frame. Would it hurt with judging or not?

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I’m not sure what is better, the original with these problems or a new one with a cover. I guess it depends on to what depth your pockets are and to what depth you want to take the restoration

GTO Man

The new one with a cover is the best way to go I believe. I can get a maintenance free original looking for the Tbird but it will be $250.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    The new one with a cover is the best way to go I believe. I can get a maintenance free original looking for the Tbird but it will be $250.

It will last, can’t beat longevity! :salut:

GTO Man

Marshall, I wouldn’t buy another one until your current one goes. In my case I don’t have much choice. For the Tbird I will get an original looking one, for one reason they are not the shape of a normal battery. They are thinner and longer than most batteries. I haven’t decided for the GTO, I have a newer one in it now that I had around. As long as it works I will use it. It was nice to see some people post some cars shows on the calendar which I had not put on there. One was for the Cross Plains show.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

The calendar is really coming alone!! Nice work! thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, the calendar is coming along nicely. My hats off to both G Man and GTO Man for the hard work on this.

The official start of the local show season is just about to begin, and I am getting concerned about several of the smaller shows. Last year’s Verona show was my first real show, so I would like to see that one continue. And, the Mustang was in the shop for several weeks and I missed the Belleville show and the Marshall show and several others, so I like to post about these smaller shows when the info becomes available.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

We hope to have the Car Show Map done soon. What this will do is give you a choice between 4 areas in Wisconsin – North West, North East, South West, and South East. You click on that area of the map and it will list the upcoming car shows for that area of the state – in order of dates

Anonymous
    Inactive

Forgive me if this is a daft question, but why do you need an original battery? Is it to keep everything as it originally was?

Otherwise, I’d be fitting a modern battery to the car. My one is now six years old, and is still working perfectly.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cobra, You have asked a much bigger question than you probably imagined. For me, the answer is an example of the perennial dilemma we all frequently face about whether to keep the car original, or original looking as possible, or turn the car in a resto mod.

I don’t know how closely judges at the area shows look at originality and whether points are deducted for things like upgrades and enhancements and replacement parts that are not or would not have been original equipment.

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is that a good thing, though? I can understand why it would be preferable to keep the car in the original form, but then again I don’t think they should knock points off for upgrades that increase safety.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Is that a good thing, though? I can understand why it would be preferable to keep the car in the original form, but then again I don’t think they should knock points off for upgrades that increase safety.

I believe safety upgrades like seatbelts are exempt. The idea of stock or resto mod is a tricky one, there are a wide variety of opinions and lots of people are on both extremes. Basically at shows if you want to be considered in the “stock” class for your vehicle you can only have x number of modifications that didn’t come on your vehicle originally.

Another reason why someone would want the original battery is the “originality” of that accomplishment, to try and bring back a feeling of those days when the car was new – the good ol’ days if you will. That’s what I’ve seen and heard talking to lots of local car guys, as well as my personal opinion mixed in as well

GTO Man

I like the look of an original looking battery in an older car. I won’t buy an original looking battery again that is not maintenance free. I don’t believe it affects the judging at these local shows if you don’t have an original looking one. At some point the amount of money you can put into these cars gets ridiculous. Thats why at many car corrals you see cars for sale that the owner has $50,000 in and is asking $25,000.

GTO Man

I ordered an original looking, maintenance free battery two weeks ago for the Tbird. Still haven’t received it, they must of shipped it Pony Express.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.