Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Collector Car Batteries

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Over the last 3 years have bought original type batteries for the Tbird, GTO and GTX. I bought the Tbird battery about 2 years ago so this will be the 3rd summer. Had it load tested today and it is already shot. My GTO battery is shot also. It is ridiculous that they only last 2 or 3 years. Will be ordering another Tbird original looking battery at the end of this week. It is a no maintenance battery that looks like the original. Unfortunately it costs twice as much as the last one I bought. Anyone else have similar stories?

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

GTO Man,

Who did you purchase from? One of my afternoon projects was to install the battery tiedown system. The problem that I encountered was that the battery I purchased last year (a generic battery with an Autolite cover) just doesn’t work well with the tiedown system (Ford OEM). In that I have to have the battery secured in the battery box, about my only option is to purchase the Autolite 24F Maintence Free collector car battery. It should be the correct size and look correct and allow me to use the tiedown system. I know that I have pushed my luck, but I have been driving the car for about a year without the battery being secured in the battery box.

Marshall

GTO Man

I bought it from Antique Auto Battery
    1-800-426-7580 or 1-330-425-2395
    email: Info@antiqueautobattery.com

They are located in Ohio, but I don’t believe they have a website.

Anonymous
    Inactive

GTO Man,

I contacted a couple of my favorite Mustang Parts vendors and I am shocked at how much these batteries have increased in price the last year or so.

The battery that I am looking for is an Autolite, Group 24F, Maintenance Free battery. Last year at this time, I could buy the battery for $150 or so. The current price is $279 plus $30 for shipping.

My favorite vendors are telling me that these batteries used to be made and distributed by New Castle Battery, but that New Castle was bought out by Antique Auto Battery some months back, and the first thing Antique Auto Battery did was increase the prices almost 200%. Go figure. Seeing as how Antique Auto Battery is the only maker and supplier on these collector car batteries, it seems that they have a monopoly on the market!

Marshall

GTO Man

Marshall

It is ridiculous how much they cost. That is interesting news about Antique Auto Battery buyin out the other manufacturer. I did finally receive my battery for the Tbird. It took about 3 weeks which was about a week longer than they said it would take. It works well but the price was up there also at $256.

Viewing 4 replies - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.