Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Do red cars really cost more??

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

An obvious accessory to any car is the color. Now as you may have noticed the vast majority of cars are red. Does anyone here own a red car? Also do you think that the color affects the price, as some rumors have hinted at?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    montefrazer
    Participant

Well, it’s known as “Resale Red” or “Arrest Me Red”. Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif I do know that red is the most expensive paint if you buy the paint to repaint your own car. Black was the cheapest the last time I priced paint. I don’t think it should cost more if it is a factory offered color for a new car, but the factory/dealer will charge extra for anything he can get away with. I have a red 65 Catalina.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Well, it’s known as “Resale Red” or “Arrest Me Red”. Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif I do know that red is the most expensive paint if you buy the paint to repaint your own car. Black was the cheapest the last time I priced paint. I don’t think it should cost more if it is a factory offered color for a new car, but the factory/dealer will charge extra for anything he can get away with. I have a red 65 Catalina.

Any pics? :drool:

That’s interesting to know, I didn’t even think of it in that way, repainting it. So it seems that the rumours are true…

GTO Man

Like Monte said it is known as ‘resale red’. It is just the most popular color. Black is the hardest color on a poor paint job or bodywork.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Like Monte said it is known as ‘resale red’. It is just the most popular color. Black is the hardest color on a poor paint job or bodywork.

I think your black GTO looks great though, it really shines. Black IMO is a great color for that car. So it seems the consumer influences the red inflation rather than the producer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am not very keen on red cars, depending on the tone of course (if I was offered a Ferrari, I would not change a thing !), but thinking about it, here in Europe, red cars tend to be more expensive for the following reasons :
    – the color red, is known to be the color of heat, warmth, power (injection, more valves per cylinder…)… sometimes felt as a “poser” color, or even agressive in some cases according to many serious studies.
    – Insurance companies, (in Europe again) tend to slightly overprice their rates on these cars as they are often attributed to more powerful car that usual, and, because, even if red is a bright color (supposed to be easily noticed), it is not the best way to be seen by others (stoplights are red).
    And, still according to insurance companies’ studies, those cars attract more theft than any other color.

hpdog259962
    Participant

Yes, if you count the tickets cops give you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well I have to say my car color is one of the least popular. icon_biggrin.gif When I went on edmunds.com for apprasial, it made a color adjustment of -$23.00 to the final price. I found it to be quite humorous.

Oh well I like the color so it’s priceless it my book. It hides dirt and pollen well and it’s also an eyecatcher.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Well I have to say my car color is one of the least popular. icon_biggrin.gif When I went on edmunds.com for apprasial, it made a color adjustment of -$23.00 to the final price. I found it to be quite humorous.

Oh well I like the color so it’s priceless it my book. It hides dirt and pollen well and it’s also an eyecatcher.

Yeah that’s a nice thing is that it stands out, its not like every other car on the block.

Quote:
    I am not very keen on red cars, depending on the tone of course (if I was offered a Ferrari, I would not change a thing !), but thinking about it, here in Europe, red cars tend to be more expensive for the following reasons :
    – the color red, is known to be the color of heat, warmth, power (injection, more valves per cylinder…)… sometimes felt as a “poser” color, or even agressive in some cases according to many serious studies.
    – Insurance companies, (in Europe again) tend to slightly overprice their rates on these cars as they are often attributed to more powerful car that usual, and, because, even if red is a bright color (supposed to be easily noticed), it is not the best way to be seen by others (stoplights are red).

All of that makes great sense, its more of a physcological issue than the actual color. Those are some interesting associations red has, like power, heat, speed…

Anonymous
    Inactive

the pigment is more expensive, i have one

Anonymous
    Inactive

… Obviously…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve actually seen a decline in red cars around here.

Seems like silver it VERY popular. And it’s not the old
    dark silver. It’s the newer bright, light colored silver.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:

Does this also include the silver/tan colors? I’ve seen a lot of those lately as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:

Does this also include the silver/tan colors? I’ve seen a lot of those lately as well.

If that’s the color that’s called champaign, yeah those have
    been popular for about 10 years.

That is one of the gentle colors that is pleasing to look at.
    (That’s the only way I know how to describe it).

I don’t know if red cars cost more but I do remember
    all of the ‘myths’ from 20 years ago, like red cars are speeders, etc.

These days I really don’t know what people think about
    when they buy a car. Seems like they buy whatever
    is being advertised on TV at the time!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Those colors are gentler on the eyes like you said. That’s probably why they are popular, at least that makes more sense than buying red because its faster!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Guys
    If you happen to follow the trends like anything else it comes and goes in circles.
    We are now back on more of the earth tones. Now there have been alot of rumors about red paint on cars , and one of them was they tend to get in more accidents.
    Well this was not quite true the fact is there were more red cars on the road thus there were more red cars in accident. Red is one of the most pricey colors along with others useing the (K) code at least in PPG . The price of the color is determand by the raw materials used . Some colors are acheived by more costly resins as resin companies had to pay a comodity for the material to produce the color . Lets say you were to make red and it required a certain flower or rock that had to be put threw a vigorus prosses. Same with the Camelion colors some manufactures which at one time was only one. It would take like 500 square feet of a high tech matalic sheet ground up to make one gallon of color. I will look for my tech sheet and be able to give you the more accurate data. So what did I drop in theis forum to say icon_rolleyes.gif Hu I forget. Oh well

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.