Welcome Forum Car Shows Goodguys Madison not on event list for 2009

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

WOW! They had perfect weather this year too.

moparkid25
    Participant

Between what they charge to get in, and what the county soaked spectators for food and drinks, is this really a bad thing?

But to play devil’s advocate, did the Madison Liberals who don’t want you to have fun with an automobile put the crunch on the GGA?

If I had to guess I would say that they don’t feel they get enough revenue from an area like Madison compared to what they in California.

Xman
    Participant

True,

I see Des Moines, IA and Joliet, IL are on the list for next year. Guess those are in close enough proximity that they don’t need a third one. It was just nice not having to drive far for a National event. I did hear the Power tour is starting June 6th in Madison. thumbsup.gif

GTO Man

That’s too bad. It was a fun time last year. It was pricey though. I am not really surprised, the economy may have allot to do with it. They may be cutting out the events that didn’t produce the revenue they thought it should.

lordairgtar
    Participant

Someone should ask GoodGuys why they are not scheduled. See what their answer is.

circletrack
    Participant
    Quote:
    Someone should ask GoodGuys why they are not scheduled. See what their answer is.

Please do as I already sent in my “early bird registration” that was included with this years info and when I renewed my membership about a month ago… What gives???

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Geez, that is really disappointing. They didn’t give Madison a very good chance and to me it seemed like this year was a success from the number of cars they had there.

Xman
    Participant
    Quote:

Stay tuned I emailed GreedGuys this morning.

Subject: Great lakes Nats?

Hello,

Wondering why I don’t see the Great Lakes Nationals on the 2009
    schedule?

Please respond..

-Randy
    GG #117506

LOOK AT THE DATE BELOW…. thumbsup.gif

We will not be having the Great Lakes Nationals in 2008.
    Thank you for asking.

Diane Walsh
    Membership Services/Registration/Info.
    Goodguys Rod and Custom Association
    Telephone: 925-838-9876 ext. 145
    Fax: 925-218-9172
    E-mail: dianew@good-guys.com

Fax: 925-218-9172

GTO Man

Does that mean it never really took place and was all a dream. If it was then allot of people had the same dream.

Pathetic, at least they could edit the email and get the year right. I always wondered why it cost so much for what we got out of it.

lordairgtar
    Participant

I believe that Goodguys has misinterpreted the typical car attendee here in Wisconsin. I don’t think that any other state has as many car shows as do we. People here also like deals. Most car shows are free to spectators, unlike Goodguys, and the vendor fees are killer. I’ve had a run in with Sue Brethower, official vendor Nazi of Goodguys. (another story for another time.) Goodguys started in 1983 as a annual get together in Alamo, California and has grown to it’s current size of over 70,000 members. What was a street rodders association has become a very large business whose only purpose now is promoting car shows. I guess if they don’t get a certain “gate” at a location, it will be canceled just like Milwaukee was. I think considering the scope of local parts vendors who might sell a couple hundred bucks worth of goods are going to balk at the $300 a day vendor fee they impose. Ford Motorsports or Chevrolet can easily deal with the expense but a local engine builder or rod builder can’t. I’ll take World Of Wheels any day, at least they don’t call themselves a car guy association/club.

circletrack
    Participant

From what I heard ~ the gate receipts were very good this year, so I’m surprised they bailed out, I also thought they had a 3 year contract, but I guess money buys anything.

I did hear back from the regarding my registration and she said letters will be going out sometime letting people know the event was cancelled and I can either get a refund or they will apply my money to another event. Well duh ~ show me the money! :hammer:

It’s a shame, it was a great weekend ~ the weather was perfect and I saw many cars I haven’t seen before (and won’t see again). The coverage comes out in the magazine they send out to members in the next month, it should be interesting.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I also thought they had a 3 year

Especially since they can’t count the 1st year really, the rain is a big factor in turnout and no one can control that

Anonymous
    Inactive

These show take tons of $$$ to produce. It’s not unusual to have to pay SIX FIGURES for the rental of a decent venue. Rumors have it that the MSRA pays $500,000 to the Minnesota State Fair for the use of the fairgrounds for Back to the Fifties.

The vendors also have a say as to which shows are profitable for them. They won’t continue to support a show that won’t make enough money for them. I can assure you they make their opinion heard to the event promoter… and the promoter had better listen or he won’t have the vendors at his shows.

My point is we Wisconsinites are pretty tight with the dollar. We get three estimates for a haircut. If the GG-Madison was profitable it would continue. Profit is what drives our economy.

Without it the show will not go on…

circletrack
    Participant
    Quote:
    My point is we Wisconsinites are pretty tight with the dollar. We get three estimates for a haircut. If the GG-Madison was profitable it would continue. Profit is what drives our economy.

I’ve been going to the same person for 20+ years now…. but understand your points. Not every show is profitable. If they were looking at the dollars pulled in ~ they would’ve pulled out after the FIRST year! w00t.gif

lordairgtar
    Participant

We may be tight with a dollar, but consider the opportunities that we have to see car shows, as there are several on every weekend during the summer. Maybe they don’t get all the big time rodders and big corporate vendors, but the thing we go to see is the cars and we have an abundance of great cars. When I was a kid, the idea of going west to see “hot rods” always pulled at me and boy was I disappointed when i finally moved there and I saw no rods on the streets like the magazines and movies led me to believe. I did see lots of lowriders, though. We are indeed blesed when it comes to cool cars. Support your local shows, and events like Back To The Fifties and The WSRA CornRoast and our winter World Of Wheels. And the Hunnert Car Pile-up ain’t bad either, even if it’s in Illinois! :gears:

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.