Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions January Car Auctions in the Phoenix Area

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone starting thinking/considering the January auctions in the Phoenix area? Obviously, I am referring to Barrett-Jackson, RM, Russo/Steele and Silver Auctions.

Silver Auctions specialize in entry and intermediate level show cars with a few #1 cars scatttered about for good measure. The cars that they bring over the auction block average from 8K to 30K, plus the usual 8% buyers premium.

I am guessing that the Barrett-Jackson auctions will get 40+ hours of airtime this year.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

The Barrett-Jackson auction is always interesting to watch. I wish there was some coverage on some of the other auctions where prices aren’t so out of line. I haven’t seen any real slow down in car sales. I do think MOPARS have leveled off a bit. Many of the collector car magazines are promoting other alternatives to the high priced muscle cars. There are allot of people who would like to get into the hobby and there are some good alternatives.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would love to do this sometime.

I just got a email for low fairs to Phoenix (Oct-Feb).

jonmandude
    Participant

I always like to watch the Barrett/Jackson auction. It is a baromtere of what the car hobby is valued at for many of the cars we all love. This year 2009 Dodge Challenger number one is going to be auctioned, which is of interest to me.

moparkid25
    Participant

A good friend of mine lives in Phoenix and went to BJ last year. He sent me some pic’s of some really cool stuff.

He’s going again this year as he gets a bidder’s pass from his employer. Next year I’m going to try and join him down there thumbsup.gif

circletrack
    Participant

We watched a show on ESPN this morning that dealt with Silver Auctions, it was called “On the Block”. Never heard of it before, but it was interesting. I always laugh at the guys who claim to own the shop and do all the work because their white shirts never seem to get dirty, and their hands are always clean. It sure would be nice to have a restoration shop in this area like those you see on tv ~ without all the drama, but of course!

We have friends that have attended BJ in the past also. If you want to get a decent car at a price you can afford, Wednesdays and Thursdays are the days to go. They are very picky about what makes tv also, we’re looking forward to it again.

jonmandude
    Participant
    Quote:
    It sure would be nice to have a restoration shop in this area like those you see on tv ~ without all the drama, but of course!

Blue Chip is probably the closest we have. If you know the guys, they have no problem with people stopping by. I have stopped a few times and have never seen any drama, just a couple dozen cars in various stages of restoration. Last time I was the there, they were mating a 65 Chevelle body with it’s frame, all nice and clean like.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    It sure would be nice to have a restoration shop in this area like those you see on tv ~ without all the drama, but of course!

I’m biting thru my lip as I type this ya know, I think a few of you will know what I mean….

I have yet to stop into Blue Chip and check out there shop. I know one guy who works over there and he’s a pretty nice guy. The other guys I met at QSL one night seemed to be pretty decent to talk to also. I hope they succeed and past demons don’t haunt them too much, we need a shop like this around here!!!

jonmandude
    Participant
    Quote:
    I have yet to stop into Blue Chip and check out there shop. I know one guy who works over there and he’s a pretty nice guy. The other guys I met at QSL one night seemed to be pretty decent to talk to also. I hope they succeed and past demons don’t haunt them too much, we need a shop like this around here!!!

I know many people have lingering bad feelings towards Dave. My view has been and will always remain that everyone is allowed to make some mistakes in life and deserves a second chance. I will not discuss what happened, it is in the past and should remain there. Dave is extremely knowledgeable. He is an asset to anyone who knows him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I used Blue Chip two years ago and was completely satisfied with their work. The timeliness and the quality of their work was excellent. I have been back a couple of times and have maintained my contact with them.

I have recommended them to others and will use them again, when necessary. I will second what Jon said – Dave is extremely knowledgeable and his son, Kerry, is working hard to make the business a success.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I have had some business dealings with Blue Chip (for the QSL Cruise nights and other things) and also have found them to be very open and organized.

Quote:
    This year 2009 Dodge Challenger number one is going to be auctioned, which is of interest to me.

Agreed, this should be very interesting. I see they just put the sticker price out as $37,000. Marshall, are you still planning on getting one if your name gets called?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Probably Not.

I am number 60 (very bottom of page 2) on the waiting list at Don Miller. If I can buy the car at sticker or MSRP, I would buy at that price. But, I am hearing and have been told by several insiders that there will be a discretionary dealer mark-up, especially on any Challengers that arrive at the dealership with the Hemi motor, 4 speed trans, and Vitamin C orange paint.

moparkid25
    Participant

Marshall,

Wait a year. Let all the other suckers buy the first year and get the kinks worked out. Plus, they will probably offer more appealing packages like a T/A theme, etc. down the road. thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is certainly good advice.

I googled the 2008 Challenger and found some very current reviews by the folks from Car and Driver and a Consumer Review magazine. They were offering up the same advice – wait until much later in the model year or until the 2009 models come out. After the dust has settled, the prices will level off.

In terms of real muscle though, the 2008 cars will only be available in the 6.1L Hemi with a 6 speed manual or the 5 speed auto. There won’t be any V6s or small V8s the first year. But with the Challenger possibly going nose to nose with the Camaro in 2009, maybe prices will drop back into reasonableness.

GTO Man

Its too bad the car companies are more interested in gouging the public instead of keeping customers. They gouged people when the new TBird came out. Of course the dealers are actually the ones who added the premiums. They must be doing alright, you don’t see many run-down delerships in the Madison area. Most have new buildings.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had forgotten about the mark-ups on the new Tbirds back in 2002 through 2005. I wonder if GM/Chevrolet will mark up the new Camaro when it is released in 2009?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.