Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Let’s Talk Oil

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s your flavor when it comes time to change oil in your car? My first preference is Royal Purple sythetic but if I’m running short on time I will use Mobil 1.

I have only two stores in my area that carries Royal Purple, Pep Boys and Nappa.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

I haven’t used a synthetic oil yet in my cars. In my collector cars I usually run Castrol. I know the synthetic is quite a bit better than regular oil. I also have heard you need to start running it before a certain amount of miles are put on a car.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I run the Castrol Synthetic.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Quaker State 10w30 dino oil in my Chevelle, but it gets changed every 2000 miles…

My Harley gets Castrol Grand Prix in 20w50.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Usually Mobil 1 or Castrol, I think it was Mobil 1 last time I changed the oil.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Usually Mobil 1 or Castrol, I think it was Mobil 1 last time I changed the oil.

@ Darth Paris
    How often do you change oil?

hpdog259962
    Participant

I’m good with Normal Style of Pennzoil . I do … “experiment” with different brands when I feel like it. w00t.gif thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve never used synthetic motor oils. Ive always used the regular Pennzoil or Quaker State (all the same now)

I change it every 3 months, as long as you do that you should be OK.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’ve never used synthetic motor oils. Ive always used the regular Pennzoil or Quaker State (all the same now)

I change it every 3 months, as long as you do that you should be OK.

Yeah that is the most important thing, change it consistently!! thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Currently running synthetic oil – Castrol GTX “Magnatec”. Now that the car is mine, I am either going to continue using this or swap to the more expensive Shell Helix synthetic oil. It gets changed every year… [ducks to avoid spanner]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Usually, good car makes (with decades of experience) will “advise” to use a certain type of oil, a certain brand…
    They are fully right to give such a piece of advice, all the tests they do, all prototypes use the recommended type of oil with “little” differences due to the level of testing.
    From what I know, the formula of a synthetic oil is extremely complicated, almost like medicine complexity.
    The original oil brand should be kept throughout the whole life of the car, but higher oil levels (from the same brand of course) can be chosen and offer better performances.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Usually, good car makes (with decades of experience) will “advise” to use a certain type of oil, a certain brand…
    They are fully right to give such a piece of advice, all the tests they do, all prototypes use the recommended type of oil with “little” differences due to the level of testing.
    From what I know, the formula of a synthetic oil is extremely complicated, almost like medicine complexity.
    The original oil brand should be kept throughout the whole life of the car, but higher oil levels (from the same brand of course) can be chosen and offer better performances.

Yep I’ve also heard this. So if you start out on Castrol GTX don’t go and switch to a synthetic oil, like Lightening said it is better to keep the same brand throughout the life of the car.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:

Yep I’ve also heard this. So if you start out on Castrol GTX don’t go and switch to a synthetic oil, like Lightening said it is better to keep the same brand throughout the life of the car.

I kinda have to disagree with that statement a little bit. If you are going to rebuild a motor its not really a good idea to use a synthetic for the first 2,000 miles because it is to slippery and doesn’t stick to the ribs so to speak. In that case it would be better to start off with Castrol GTX than move to Castrol Synthetic.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

I kinda have to disagree with that statement a little bit. If you are going to rebuild a motor its not really a good idea to use a synthetic for the first 2,000 miles because it is to slippery and doesn’t stick to the ribs so to speak. In that case it would be better to start off with Castrol GTX than move to Castrol Synthetic.

Good point. I didn’t think of that. But yes if you’re rebuilding the engine I would think you could switch (like you said). I was just speaking in general when you get your oil changed you shouldn’t just randomly choose either synthetic or regular and alternate.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I figured thats what you meant just wanted to be sure!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I figured thats what you meant just wanted to be sure!

Yep thanks!! icon_cheesygrin.gif

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.