Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Let’s Talk Oil

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s your flavor when it comes time to change oil in your car? My first preference is Royal Purple sythetic but if I’m running short on time I will use Mobil 1.

I have only two stores in my area that carries Royal Purple, Pep Boys and Nappa.

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Usually, good car makes (with decades of experience) will “advise” to use a certain type of oil, a certain brand…
    They are fully right to give such a piece of advice, all the tests they do, all prototypes use the recommended type of oil with “little” differences due to the level of testing.
    From what I know, the formula of a synthetic oil is extremely complicated, almost like medicine complexity.
    The original oil brand should be kept throughout the whole life of the car, but higher oil levels (from the same brand of course) can be chosen and offer better performances.

Yep I’ve also heard this. So if you start out on Castrol GTX don’t go and switch to a synthetic oil, like Lightening said it is better to keep the same brand throughout the life of the car.

I kinda have to disagree with that statement a little bit. If you are going to rebuild a motor its not really a good idea to use a synthetic for the first 2,000 miles because it is to slippery and doesn’t stick to the ribs so to speak. In that case it would be better to start off with Castrol GTX than move to Castrol Synthetic.

That is right, rebuilding a motor needs first a non synthetic oil, but I thought the topic was about regular oil use, not rebuilding, even if the category is “Restoration and Performance”.
    I don’t think either that synthetic oil is the best for some old motors as all metallic parts cannot tolerate such products which composition would alterate the parts.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Usually, good car makes (with decades of experience) will “advise” to use a certain type of oil, a certain brand…
    They are fully right to give such a piece of advice, all the tests they do, all prototypes use the recommended type of oil with “little” differences due to the level of testing.
    From what I know, the formula of a synthetic oil is extremely complicated, almost like medicine complexity.
    The original oil brand should be kept throughout the whole life of the car, but higher oil levels (from the same brand of course) can be chosen and offer better performances.

Yep I’ve also heard this. So if you start out on Castrol GTX don’t go and switch to a synthetic oil, like Lightening said it is better to keep the same brand throughout the life of the car.

I kinda have to disagree with that statement a little bit. If you are going to rebuild a motor its not really a good idea to use a synthetic for the first 2,000 miles because it is to slippery and doesn’t stick to the ribs so to speak. In that case it would be better to start off with Castrol GTX than move to Castrol Synthetic.

That is right, rebuilding a motor needs first a non synthetic oil, but I thought the topic was about regular oil use, not rebuilding, even if the category is “Restoration and Performance”.
    I don’t think either that synthetic oil is the best for some old motors as all metallic parts cannot tolerate such products which composition would alterate the parts.

I agree that its not best for some old motors either, your reasoning makes sense!! thumbsup.gif You’d rather be safe than sorry.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve always used regular motor oil never the synthetic. It seems to be alright and I change it every 3 months.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I’ve never used synthetic either. 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m driving a modern car, so synthetic will be fine in it. Offers better protection than a mineral oil, especially when it is cold.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

How cold does it get in England on average during the winter?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nights are often frosty – average I think for where I live is -2 deg C night and 4-6 deg C day. Might want to check that – it’s a rough guess having watched ForecastFox all winter. :D

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

That sounds a lot like Wisconsin. Generally we are in the teens here (Farenheight), and sometimes we go below zero degrees. It all depends on the year too, for instance we didn’t even get any snow here until after Christmas – some years can be quite warm and some can be quite harsh. 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

During the winter I decided to try Mobile One synthetic in a
    2002 truck that I have.

I noticed a BIG difference each time I started the engine
    in cold weather (in Ohio). The engine spun-up very quickly.

Other people told me the same thing with their vehicles.

I bought the Mobile One at NAPA auto parts. I don’t remember
    what I paid but it wasn’t too expensive.

Side note…………

About 20 years ago I tried an oil treatment called Duralube.

It was incredible!!! All of the friction in the engine was gone!
    Then after the recommended period of time I gave it another treatment.

Nothing!!! icon_sad.gif

The friction was back and it stayed.

Fast forward to last year………. I was interested in Duralube again
    but did some research on the internet. I found out that some of those
    types of additives are similar to adding bleach to your engine. They
    are slippery, like bleach, so the friction disappears.

Recently I tried a treatment called Militec but I didn’t see
    any difference.

From now on I’ll probably use regular oil in the summer and
    Mobile One in the winter.

No more experimenting!!! icon_cheesygrin.gif

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.