Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Scottsdale Barrett Jackson ….

• Creator
    Topic
    Amigo2k

Well it looks like Tuesday the live broadcasts from Barrett Jackson will start.

They will be broadcasting on 5 different channels (not at the same time):

FOX Sports 1
    FOX Sports 2
    FOX Business
    FOX Broadcast
    National Geographic Channel

Here is a link to the schedule and channels they are on: http://www.barrett-jackson.com/scottsdale/schedule/sd14.asp

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

Crazy prices start today…

GTO Man

Heavy hitters are starting to go across the block.
    69 Corvette, L88 2.6 million
    57 Tbird $300,000 restored by Minter

moparkid25
    Participant

Their “muscle car expert” stated that Buick made 587 GNXs.

Buick made 547 GNXs. The car that went over the block was #487.

I was getting aroused when that arctic white hemi super bird showed up :)

GTO Man

At 500k I am sure the seller was smiling. And 3.6 million for that 67Corvette.

jonmandude
    Participant
    circletrack wrote:
    The charity cars drive me nuts, I know it’s about getting as much as you can, but get on with it… the same people buy them and chances are donate them right back, tax deduction

The two Hurst Camaros went for a combined $290,000. The long-winded guy talking about them said they spent $1.5M in making them. Maybe they should have just given the $1.5M to charity and not bored everybody to sleep talking about them? I love Linda Vaughn, she is the first lady of the car hobby, but …shut the hell up already

jonmandude
    Participant

And Zac, the “experts” on these shows (Mecum and B-J) are usually pretty accurate, but I did hear an “expert” on Mecum today talk about a tear drop hood on a 63 Galaxy. He made two false comments.
    First he called it a “cowl induction” which is incorrect because the tear drop does not go into the cowl.
    and
    second he “informed” that cowl induction hoods work by using the low pressure area of the cowl. That is a common thought but very incorrect. The area of the cowl is actually a high pressure area. The cowl induction works because the engine is in a low pressure area and the cowl is a high pressure area. Air is always drawn from high pressure to low pressure. If the cowl area was, in fact, high pressure the air would not move in to the low pressure engine compartment.

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

I agree with you Ryan, crazy prices. It helped that Rick Hendrick was buying every other one for a while. I liked watching the Mecum auction , more realistic pricing.

circletrack
    Participant

We always look forward to Saturday night and the cars that come across – this year was very boring with that Salon collection. Same guys were buying all weekend, it seemed. Didn’t look like Ron Pratt bought much this year, maybe because Rick Hendrick was buying it all?

Jackson’s are still making a killing this weekend, but this year didn’t seem to have the big dollar cars that bring in the bidders (and the tv audience)

GTO Man

I would rather see muscle cars on a Saturday. Barrett Jackson prices give a false impression of the collector car market. Then sellers think their cars are worth those prices.

moparkid25
    Participant

I was at a friends house today, and we watched almost all of today’s auction. BJ totally inflates the prices of the vehicles they are auctioning off and turns into a testicle measuring contest with wallets. I will say, there were some cars today and that I thought sold for fair prices.

I enjoy watching the Mecum auctions more. Its not laced with the wealthy and the famous like Barrett Jackson. Cars there go for much more realistic prices and Mecum will negotiate to sell the car if its close to the reserve.

GTO Man

Good indication of inflated prices is that they had a hard time coming up with any well bought cars.

circletrack
    Participant

Lots of negative comments on Facebook regarding the auction this year. People are very unhappy with Fox and their coverage (or lack of), the amount of cars sold during commercials and more. Hopefully someone reads/listens and changes are made before the next auction. It did seem like a large amount of cars never made the air, Ring Brothers had at least two cars there, only got to see one.

maddog
    Participant

You are absolutely correct moparkid25. I watched both auctions off and on this weekend and I it proved the point to me that I always thought is that the high dollar high profile type cars go through B.J. and the “working mans” type of cars got through on the Mecum auction.
    If I am ever lucky enough to have the cash to buy at an auction it will beat a Mecum auction.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I watched on Saturday as well and agree with the comments here – the variety and focus of cars was quite disappointing this year; it seemed to be mostly focused on pre-war or 21st century vehicles, with just a couple 50s – 70s cars in the bunch. There seemed to be quite a few customs as well, not as many stock restorations

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.