Welcome Forum The Lounge Stargate SG-1, how long should it go?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Stargate SG-1 is going to be the longest running American scifi tv show next year with the start of its 9th season. This is great IMO!!!! What are your opinions on SG-1, how many more seasons should it go for?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, why not icon_wink.gif ?

Alright, alright, let’s first try a decade, then we’ll see icon_cool.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Well, why not icon_wink.gif ?

Alright, alright, let’s first try a decade, then we’ll see icon_cool.gif

Yeah I would definitely like to see it go a decade, there would be something really satisfying about it. Plus, they haven’t even gotten started on some story ideas like the furlings. The stargate idea has so many more potential stories to tell..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cool! I see I am not the only one that would like to never see it end! :)

I think the best part of the show is that it takes a lot of the unpopular theories in the scientific/archeological circle and made a plausible story line out of it. Like for example pyramids in both Mexico and Egypt and both cultures had a RA for a god.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I honestly felt that season 8 was going to be the last. The cornerstone enemey of the series is all but defeated, the Jaffa are free. Yes there are a few loose ends that will be tied up in season 9 but I’m afraid that they may suffer some redundency or lack the creative energy that they had in years past.

Traditionally a run of 7 years for a tv series is a considered a good and full product life cycle and it lends enough interest for spinoffs. The recent run of Star Trek TV shows serve as a good example with the exception of Enterprise.

I get somewhat concerned when a tv show I take a liking to looses it luster in appreciative impact due to it’s time in tv land being longer than what it should have been. i.e. The X-Files, Silk Stalkings

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Cool! I see I am not the only one that would like to never see it end! :)

I think the best part of the show is that it takes a lot of the unpopular theories in the scientific/archeological circle and made a plausible story line out of it. Like for example pyramids in both Mexico and Egypt and both cultures had a RA for a god.

Great! Me either!! icon_cheesygrin.gif

I agree, its cool how it is able to relate so many things today and actually make it a “realistic” scifi show, that to me makes it pretty unique.

Quote:
    I honestly felt that season 8 was going to be the last. The cornerstone enemey of the series is all but defeated, the Jaffa are free. Yes there are a few loose ends that will be tied up in season 9 but I’m afraid that they may suffer some redundency or lack the creative energy that they had in years past.

Traditionally a run of 7 years for a tv series is a considered a good and full product life cycle and it lends enough interest for spinoffs. The recent run of Star Trek TV shows serve as a good example with the exception of Enterprise.

I get somewhat concerned when a tv show I take a liking to looses it luster in appreciative impact due to it’s time in tv land being longer than what it should have been. i.e. The X-Files, Silk Stalkings

The main reason that alot of series like Star Trek run for 7 seasons is because of the budget, after 7 it starts to go up alot, at least that’s what I’ve heard. I’m happy that SG-1 can keep it together this long and hopefully Ben Browder will help make it even better in season 9. As demonstrated in Farscape he definitely has enough potential to be able to make it really great, it just depends on how the fans take it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    The main reason that alot of series like Star Trek run for 7 seasons is because of the budget, after 7 it starts to go up alot, at least that’s what I’ve heard. I’m happy that SG-1 can keep it together this long and hopefully Ben Browder will help make it even better in season 9. As demonstrated in Farscape he definitely has enough potential to be able to make it really great, it just depends on how the fans take it.

I have heard this too!

How long did X-files run? I thought that was 9 years wasn’t it or am I mistaken?

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

I have heard this too!

How long did X-files run? I thought that was 9 years wasn’t it or am I mistaken?

GTO Man would know this, he’s a bix X Files fan. I think it was 8 years, because they said (when everyone thought that season 8 was the last for SG-1) that SG-1 had tied for X Files for the longest running scifi show.

GTO Man

X-Files had 9 seasons. It was a very interesting show. As is usually the case the years toward the start were the best.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    X-Files had 9 seasons. It was a very interesting show. As is usually the case the years toward the start were the best.

I thought that was 9 because I thought they wanted to push it to 10 than be done but it didn’t work out that way.

Did anyone used to watch the Lone gun men series before it got canceled right away?

GTO Man

Neversaw that, when was it on?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Neversaw that, when was it on?

It started off on sunday during a week when Xfiles was not running than it jumped around after that! It only lasted maybe 6 episodes maybe more. They ended it at a cliffhanger and you don’t see the Lone gun men again till they are killed off in the Xfiles I think. In the cliffhanger ending they are painted blue some how I don’t remember how or the details. Than when you see them again in the last season of Xfiles they are still blue and they don’t really explain why so if you never saw their episodes that lil joke when have been lost on you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you are into conspiracy theories here is another interesting tid bit. 6 months before 9/11 happened one of the LGM episodes was about them saving New york from a terrosit trying to fly passenger plans into buildings. 1 or 2 episodes after that is when they were pulled from the air.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    If you are into conspiracy theories here is another interesting tid bit. 6 months before 9/11 happened one of the LGM episodes was about them saving New york from a terrosit trying to fly passenger plans into buildings. 1 or 2 episodes after that is when they were pulled from the air.

Wow that is a weird coincidence! icon_eek.gif icon_eek.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think it has some distance to run yet. who knows, now that the Prometheus is fully powered we may see more of a star trek type show. there’s some possibility for great stories there, after all so far we have only seen races that use the gates + the replicators. there may be plenty of space faring races they’ll run into, or just races that don’t live on the earth-like planets the ancients left gates on.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I think it has some distance to run yet. who knows, now that the Prometheus is fully powered we may see more of a star trek type show. there’s some possibility for great stories there, after all so far we have only seen races that use the gates + the replicators. there may be plenty of space faring races they’ll run into, or just races that don’t live on the earth-like planets the ancients left gates on.

Very very true. I think that is a definite possibility for upcoming seasons. It would be pretty unique too because they would be exploring the galaxy in a spaceship in “present day” rather than the future, which sets it apart from other series. Maybe we’ll finally get to meet the furlings!! thumbsup.gif w00t.gif

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.