Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Stopped by Blue Chip Street Rods this afternoon……….

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

And, I am still impressed and satisfied with the quality of their work…………

I got to sit down with Dave Larson and his staff during the lunch hour, and while they were eating, I had a chance to ask a 1000 dumb questions and pick their brains, collectively. I am happy and satisfied with what I saw and with what I heard.

I was hoping to get the Mustang FB in a week or two earlier than scheduled, but that will not happen. Based on their advertisements and open house, they are much busier than ever. The FB goes in the first week of May, and should be finished in one week. Typically, cars come in on Saturday, and the work is finished in one week, and the car is ready for pick up the next Saturday, or sooner.

This is for Circletrack – Blue Chip does not yet have their own paint booth, but they do lease/rent several paint booths from local body shops, and they do their own paint work. The business will be expanding (doubling) this summer, and the expansion will include their own paint booth.

I will keep the forum posted on my experiences at Blue Chip during the coming weeks.

Marshall

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

Thanks for the information. It sounds like they will be successful.

Marshall

What was the name of the restoration shop you mentioned that was in Sauk City? I believe it was Niles or something like that.

Nick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, it was.

I believe the gentleman you are looking for is Brian or Bryan Niles or his father. I don’t have the name of the father, but I am certain that the shop/garage is located in Sauk City. Brian/Bryan Niles is legendary when it comes to restoration work on vintage Mustangs.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

Thanks for the update! Any chance they’re looking for help? If they’re doubling in size, I’d think so. Can’t wait to see the FB finished.

I’m hoping Larson learned his lesson last time around, and it sounds promising. I only wish I could get a loan like he has in paying off all those he stole from… icon_scratch.gif

GTO Man

Talk about easy terms for a loan.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, I would agree with what you see.

Acccording to what I have read, he is only paying back pennies on the thousands of dollars that he owes in restitution.

But, I do believe that he has started fresh and I am good with the quality of the work, so why not give him a chance to prove himself? Actually, this first time in may be a test of the waters. If things work out with this work, I will certainly plan to take the fastback back in the fall/winter for long term projects like a new wiring harness and balancing/blueprinting motor work.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Talk about easy terms for a loan.

Yeah really 😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wish me luck. I have finalized the work on the fastback and the car goes in to Blue Chip tomorrow in the AM. I just hope that everything will turn out OK. I talked with them this afternoon and everything seems to be on track. I plan to be without the car for one week, but it could stretch out to be two weeks depending on how quick Klein Dickert can get a new windshield ordered up and installed.

I will continue to post as this work progresses, but I am about two weeks ahead of my personal schedule and hope to have a new headliner and new glass installed and up to snuff before Automotion 2006. No way will I have the car ready to the Spring Jefferson Show this coming Sunday at Jefferson. Where is everybody staying at for the Wisconsin Dells Automotion Show (Saturday night)?

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

I wish you luck, I’m sure it’ll turn out just fine. One of our members is having his car down there and in talking to him Tuesday at the meeting he’s sparing no expense and the car will be very, very nice when it’s done. It sounds like Dave is very involved with the projects. I do wonder though why the windshield wasn’t ordered ahead of time? They know you’re coming in and wouldn’t that save a few days?

http://bluechipstreetrods.com/index.php/gallery/C26/

A group is staying at the Paradise Hotel (across from Treasure Island), most are going up Friday afternoon. Who is all staying Saturday night? We should connect!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Circletrack, Thanks for the info and encouragement. Granted, it is a huge risk and gamble to take a chance with a guy like this, but I am totally knocked out by the quality of his work and the work of the technicians at Blue Chip.

Well, I was able to get the fastback delivered today, so I am without my best friend for at least one week, maybe two. I saw several extremely nice Chevelles that are just in to Blue Chip. There is a Red with Black Vinyl, with what looked like a big block (454?) just in this week (total restoration, one off) and a really nice midnight black Chevelle, also one off, total frame off restoration.

This work that I am having done will determine whether or not I take the fastback back to Blue Chip. If this turns out to be a positive experience, then there are other upgrades that will be done later this year.

I haven’t decided whether I will show the fastback at Automotion 2006. I may just drive up and be a spectator and try to get around to see all the beautiful cars.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

Well?! Any updates?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes,

I talked with Dave’s son Kerry on Thursday. Kerry is sort of the shop manager with the individual projects on each car. The glass is out and the old headliner is out. Klein Dickert has the windshield, but for some reason did not bring the windshield gasket/weathestriping. The new insulation, headliner and windlace was to be installed on Friday or Saturday. I supplied a NOS OE back glass gasket/weatherstriping. Klein Dickert will return next week to actually install the glass and button up the project. The delay has been Klein Dickert. They have been working overtime and double shifts installing glass on hundreds of daily drivers that were damaged and destroyed by the recent hail storm.

One nice touch – Kerry tells me (confirms) that my car has always been its present color of Twilight Turquoise, and he also tells me that he has some digital photos of the body panels around the window openings which show no indication of body work or patching or bondo work from years past.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

Ah!!!! Good news!

GTO Man

Sounds like they do a thorough job. Its nice they give you some added information also.

GTO Man

Marshall, any news on the car? Late last week took the GTX to fill up, it was just under a 1/4 tank. First I put in about 2.5 gallons of racing fuel, then the rest premium.
    2.5 racing 12.50
    premium 51.50
    Total $64.00

Looks like an expensive summer coming.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yes, the car is done and ready to come home. Today, I was tied up with the wife’s daily driver (Toyota Camry). I simple nail in the sidewall turned into a $300 repair bill, with needed parts coming from Milwaukee after lunch.

Needless to say, I was not able to deal with the Mustang, but I will bring the car tomorrow, allowing that there is no rain. I refuse to drive the mustang in the rain!

Is there a special reason why you use racing fuel mixed with premium and where do you find racing fuel in the Madison area?

Marshall

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.