Welcome Forum Car Shows Thoughts on what it takes for a great car show?

• Creator
    Topic
    Amigo2k

I think I’ve seen a couple of posts like this already, I think, but since the season is closeing I thought I would toss in my 2 cents on this.

Advertise your show. Hand out flyers, post on websites, post flyers at parts stores and so on.

If you have a large show (bigger then 300 cars) see if you can crane up some speakers so everyone can hear. Keep the talking down to a minimum.

Door prizes, skip the gift cards and coupin to local places.

Get some signs out on the roads so we all know where to turn to get to the show.

Stick with the normal food items but try to mix it up with one or two different things (corn, pie, bars …).

Keep the awards presentation on time!

If you have the staff help us park the cars in the spot you want us at.

Don’t charge people to look at the cars (exception is Jefferson, or large shows with +400 cars; I have no plans to attend the Verona show next year because the charge folks to see the 50 cars that show up).

If possible mix it in with a festival, craft show ….

Put in one class for the kids with their hopped up Honda’s.
    Put in one class of motorcycles.

Doing this will bring in more cars (more money for the show) and more folks to check out the cars. They are part of the Hobbie too!

For shows with +200 cars try to get some sponsorship from places like Hagerty, Mcguires, jegs, year one and so on.

Create a website for your show. There are free places and it only cost like 8 bucks a year for a decent web address.

Hire a professional photographer to take photos and offer them on a website to order prints (no cost to hire the person, but the person make all the money or a percentage of the sale goes to the show from the things that are ordered).

I’ll add more as I think of them ….

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The entry fees of Car Shows reflects the cost of those items needed to attract people. And lets face it, even those shows with the support of the city/or chamber of commerce bearing the cost of trophies, rooms etc. still charge entry fees. Even with other sponsorship the cost can become prohibitive. So the more you add at each show the greater the entry fee may become. Does the need for all these things really make a Car Show better? Is the size of the show the only indicator of that shows success?So that brings me the Subject: How to make a car show better. My opinion is, return the car show to a venue for the car enthusiast. Those who would come regardless if trophies,door prizes,dash plaques, entertainment etc. are available. I can remember the days when you and your friends would just stop by the local hambuger joint to hang out and show off the latest additions to your wheels, do some bench racing and strectching the truth about ETs. That was a car show no competition, no classes ,no judging,no trophies and no dash plaques required, everyone was a winner. I know that this isn’t possible but it would be nice.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Great posts!! That definitely raises a lot of questions about what car shows could/should be. To answer the questions Super Cruiser posted, just select the “Car Shows Feature” link like you would for rate the show:
    [img]http://www.wiscollectorcar.com/coppermine/cpg132/albums/userpics/10002/carshowfeatures.JPG[/img]

circletrack
    Participant

1. Would you attend a Car Show which didn’t have Trophies or other awards.?
    Answer: yes, many times

2. Would you attend a Car Show which didn’t have Dash Plaques?
    Answer: yes, many times

3. Would you attend a Car Show which didn’t have food vendors?
    Answer: Many shows I bring my own food/beverages, but it’s always nice to have an option as long as the food is good and priced accordingly.

4. Would you attend a Car Show which didn’t have Porta Johns?
    Answer: No, this is a given.

5. Would you attend a Car Show which didn’t have music?
    Answer: Music is an important part of any event, why wouldn’t you have music?

6. Would you attend a Benefit Car Show, no prizes,awards etc.
    Answer: Yes, many times.

7. Would you attend a Car Show because you enjoy being around others who have a similiar interest in cars etc. Show your car because you are proud of the results of your hard work putting the car together. Have to bring your own picnic lunch ,get to share time with family and friends and make new friends. Come when you want and leave when you want.
    Answer: Again a given, I don’t understand though why some come late to shows, stay a couple hours and leave. I also feel you should be in attendance, if at all possible, to accept an award. I understand things come up, life gets in the way, but if you feel you are deserving, you should stick around.

How to make a car show better:

I do think it’s unrealistic to expect people to attend shows without some type of reward, no matter what it may be. If you’ve been to any shows this summer, you can see the bar has been raised very high in some of these classes and people expect recognition for their hard work and effort. I don’t expect an award at every event, but there are some that do and show visible disappointment when their name isn’t called off.

I also think shows should have cut off years. If I want to see a new car, I can stop at the local Ford/Chevrolet dealership to see it. There should also be specific classes for trailered vehicles, with the hopes the owner(s) are honest when registering and putting the car into the correct class. I drove my car over 2000 miles this summer, including to TN and back and it’s disappointing to be in the same class with someone who drives their car on and off the trailer.

My .02! :)

Amigo2k

Answer: Yup. I’m not about the trophies, but enjoying the cars and talking with the folks. The 4 awards I have won in the last two years sit in my basement collecting dust.

Answer: Yes. I have no place to displaying them so I don’t really care for them

Answer:

I typically pack a little cooler but with others that attend to check out the cars i think it is a nice thing to have.

Answer:

Sure. I wait in lines at Football, basketball and concerts to use bathrooms so that is not that big of a deal.

Answer:
    I like the music but not when it is blarring in my ear. i understand that due to the size of some somes it is not possible to have the music cover the entire show

Answer: Yup. I typically attend a couple a year. I’m not in it for the awards

7. Would you attend a Car Show because you enjoy being around others who have a similiar interest in cars etc. Show your car because you are proud of the results of your hard work putting the car together. Have to bring your own picnic lunch ,get to share time with family and friends and make new friends. Come when you want and leave when you want.
    Answer: yes.

How to make a car show better:

If you have awards have more classes. Advertise advertise, advertise.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Answer: Yes, I have many times and will continue to do so.

Answer: Absolutely, I don’t really know what to do with the box full that I currently have. Not really sure whether they should be displayed or sold in bulk on Ebay.

Answer: Yes, I bring my own beverages (water) and I could certainly afford to miss a few meals Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Answer: I don’t think so. What is one to do when nature calls?

Answer: Yes. Although I like background music and vintage rock and roll, all other things being equal, I could live without the music.

Answer: Yes, if I wanted to support the charity or cause, I would be the first to show up.

Answer: Absolutely Yes. To me, this is the best part of the shows that we attend.

How to make a car show better: If it is to be a judged show, I would like to see more classes for the stock/factory cars. I also echo Amigo-2K’s suggestion about advertising the show. The more cars in attendance, the better for everyone involved. Also, this may be way out there, but the judging sheets could also be returned to the participants after the trophy awards. Personally, I would like to know what the judges did or did not like about my car and what I can do to improve for the next show.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

Marshall ~ Excellent points! I’ve asked for the judging sheet at a couple shows and have been told I can’t have it back, no idea why. I would also like to find out what I need to work on, but then again what one person likes another may not care for. It’s all in the judging.

In regards to trophies, some friends have offered their to the Boy Scouts, Special Olympics, etc. and they will not accept them. I’d think some of these trophies surely could be used again, just put a different top on?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the answers. I think the reward someone receives at any given car show is that shown by fellow ethusiast toward the craftmanship of the work someone puts forth to make a given vehicle aquire its own personality. Car Shows should have a cutoff for years allowed. Those which allow only 20 year or older vehicles should be Classic Car Shows. Others which recognize that times are changing and include all makes, models and years, American or Import are Car Shows. I believe,all Classic Car Shows will morph into Car Shows eventually out of necessity. I would also like to point out that many car enthusiast,especially younger ones, don’t at the moment possess the vehicle that they would like to have or may not have one at all. That does not make them any less an ethusiast than someone who may possess several. They attend and participate in Car Show and are the future of the Car Collector Hobby. So what should a car show be. It should be an event that premits all who enjoy the hobby to appreciate the work of others. Recognize that appreciation anyway you like. My choice is for someone to say great job.

GTO Man

Answer: Yes, the fun of a car show is talking to the people along with looking at the cars.

Answer: Yes, have many times.

Answer: Yes, though it is nice when there is food available.

Answer: Maybe, depends on how long I plan on being there.

Answer: Yes, but the right music certainly add alot to a show.

Answer: Yes, I have in the past and will in the future.

Answer: Yes, one of the highlights of the shows is talking with friends you have made in the hobby.

How to make a car show better: As has been said earlier, get the word out about the show to bring as many cars together as possible. I think Jim is correct about a ‘Classic Car Show’ having cars at least 20 years old, while a ‘Car Show’ contains cars up this years models. One way that some of the shows that I have attended could be better would be to have more realistic classes.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Why is it important what someone likes or dislikes about your car?
    All the time and effort you put into your car should be all that matters. If you like the car then you have done a good job. Car Show judges for the most part are not certified to judge every make, model or year. So for the most part they evaluate on cleanlines, craftmanship and state of repair. This means that orginal unrestored cars generally do not fair as well as a restored car even though the restored car is not OEM correct. Also when you are at your next Classic Car Show or Car Show look around closely. You maybe surprized to see how many so called “stock” classes have quite a few modified cars in them. In a judged show it is the responsibility of the judge to recognize the misclassification and move the car to the proper class. If the owner will not move to the proper class the car should not be judged. This would certainly improve the fairness of any Car Show.Judging sheets usually, unless concours judging, look for deductions in the areas I mentioned, they are not concerned with the correctness of the radiator clamp. I personnel don’t think returning the judging sheet would be of any help. That’s just my opinion

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Answer: Yes, I enjoy seeing the cars and talking to the people who come

Answer: Yes, they’re nice to showcase which shows you’ve been to but by no means necessary

Answer: Yes, I go out to breakfast before the show and I could hold off eating until later

Answer: Depends on how long I’m there and if the show is by the woods Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Answer: Yes, but the music is a nice addition when its not blasting loud and is good music

Answer: Yes, have and will continue to do so

Answer: Absolutely, that’s what its all about for me

How to make a car show better: Overall I would like to see more shows playing classic rock (ie the who) rather than mainly motown/pop hits. It seems you can’t go to a car show and not hear “Boardwalk” at least once! :doh: I think the main thing for me is make sure there are enough cars at the show and that people are there who want to chat

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Here’s a couple more questions for you guys about the shows.

1. What range of years of cars would you most like to see at the shows?

2. What times should the cars shows be at? When should they start, when should the trophies (if there are any) be given out, and when should they end?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think car shows should be all inclusive. However, there is a bias out there among some that car shows should include only vehicles 20 years or older. Therefore, show planners who include vehicles only 20 years or older should advertise their shows as Classic Car Shows. Those planners which include all makes, models, and years should advertise their shows as Car Shows. Start/registration from 9AM-12PM are the hours I like.
    Trophies at 3PM which would bring the show to an end. Just a note: I like those shows that include Judged and Non-Judged categories. This gives the opportunity to those who enjoy car shows,but don’t want thier car judged, to attend. Entry fee should reflect judged and non-judged cost. Brings more people out. Both show formats are okay with me. I should have my new project completed by fall of next year a 1968 Nova SS. And all the upgrades to my 05 Mustang finished by Spring.

Amigo2k

I personally don’t mind seeing the newer cars there since there is a huge aftermarket now for them as compaired to 10-15 years ago. I think modding out a car 1 or 75 years old is personal taste and many times an art form, but obviously it is a lot easier to bolt something on a 1year old car then have to try to create it for your 75 year old car. Also by inviting this group into the hobbie it will open more doors for sponsorships at events.

As for timing, a show 150 cars and under I think 9-3 is a good time, over 150, 8AM or earlier to give a better chance to spread out the folks coming in than having a narrow window of time and a ton of folks sitting and ideling in line waiting to park (instert over heating smily).

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

That’s a very good point about the timing – with bigger shows you don’t want to bottleneck the cars entering. What would you think about more than one entrance for show cars for big shows? Maybe on either end of the grounds, that way they could handle a higher volume of cars

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What are some other things you liked/disliked about the shows this year?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.