Welcome Forum Car Shows Thoughts on what it takes for a great car show?

• Creator
    Topic
    Amigo2k

I think I’ve seen a couple of posts like this already, I think, but since the season is closeing I thought I would toss in my 2 cents on this.

Advertise your show. Hand out flyers, post on websites, post flyers at parts stores and so on.

If you have a large show (bigger then 300 cars) see if you can crane up some speakers so everyone can hear. Keep the talking down to a minimum.

Door prizes, skip the gift cards and coupin to local places.

Get some signs out on the roads so we all know where to turn to get to the show.

Stick with the normal food items but try to mix it up with one or two different things (corn, pie, bars …).

Keep the awards presentation on time!

If you have the staff help us park the cars in the spot you want us at.

Don’t charge people to look at the cars (exception is Jefferson, or large shows with +400 cars; I have no plans to attend the Verona show next year because the charge folks to see the 50 cars that show up).

If possible mix it in with a festival, craft show ….

Put in one class for the kids with their hopped up Honda’s.
    Put in one class of motorcycles.

Doing this will bring in more cars (more money for the show) and more folks to check out the cars. They are part of the Hobbie too!

For shows with +200 cars try to get some sponsorship from places like Hagerty, Mcguires, jegs, year one and so on.

Create a website for your show. There are free places and it only cost like 8 bucks a year for a decent web address.

Hire a professional photographer to take photos and offer them on a website to order prints (no cost to hire the person, but the person make all the money or a percentage of the sale goes to the show from the things that are ordered).

I’ll add more as I think of them ….

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

One of the things that varied the most at shows was the quality of the music provided, the placement and the volume. The shows where it was distributed the best placed the speakers high above the show. It all depends on the size of the show area. A smaller show doesn’t necesarily need that.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What genre of music would you prefer? What are some examples of artists/songs?

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Hello to all” wave.gif I just recently found this web site. Many of you know me from the past Deforest Auto Shows. For eight years myself and 2 partners ran the non-profit business “Deforest Auto Show Inc.” and met “Many , Many” new friends. Some people know and some don’t that “Deforest Auto Show Inc.” was dissolved prior to the the 2006 show.
    I hope you continue to support the show. I was asked many times this year “as a participant” Why there were not as many door prize items and the regular “Grand prizes”. Well the people now doing it are new to this type of thing and would like to see it continue. So, please bear with them.
    I was very glad to see that everyone voted Deforest as a favorite June show. Make me feel good for all the years put into the show.
    How to make a good show ? Well I think we found when we moved away from the trophies and went with the prizes on the hour and the nice grand prize stuff ( Tool Box’s, Bench tools and such) at the the end of the day, This put everyone on the same level and all had a chance win with no arguments or competition. Note: I said we were a non-profit company, all the prizes were provided by sponsorship donations and the money from the participant entry fee paid for the park rental, Two miilion dollar Insurance umbrella and related expenese. When all was said and done We donated the remaing Dollars to the American Cancer Society. The fire Dept. sold food and that money went to the Fire Dept.
    The speakers were placed on the roof top so the sound would carry over the park. I think this made for a good show and I enjoyed all the compliments over the years. So again, Thank You for helping us grow from that first show at Pick-n-Save with 35 cars to the annual 200 + event at the Park. I look forward to seeing everybody in the crowd at all the shows in 2007.

GTO Man

Welcome to the site, glad you found it. I have always enjoyed the Deforest car show over the years. Always thought it was well organized and was an enjoyable day.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Welcome jbgood! The Deforest show is always a lot of fun, you have a great setting and a very well organized staff. The park is also nice because it has some shade which is always a big factor on hot days.

What other car shows have you been to during the summer months? I see you marked the Boondockers show as one of your favorites, how was that show? How many cars were there?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Garibaldi / GTO Man : Thanks for the comments thumbsup.gif
    I hit the Boondockers by mistake icon_scratch.gif It should have been the Automotion show. Although the Automotion show is on pavement and no shade i always see something new in the crowd each year. I would like to make it to The Boondockers. Anybody have any info. on this one ?
    My car show season for 2006 was limited ( Bought a Harley in late 2005) Missed a few due to bad weather. Hope to make more shows in 2007.
    Two other shows that I don’t think are shown are The Good Guy’s show down by Waukesha and The Cornhusker’s show ( 3 day event in Fon du Lac) I think that was in August.
    If anyone is interested or gets cabin fever there is always the World of Wheels at Milwaukee State Fair Park Jan 12th – 14th. That show always has a large variety of Cars, Trucks & Motorcycles. Not all of them are the perfect high $$$ show vehicles, Some are local cars that were brought for the winter show.
    Some people may have seen my pinstriping and paint projects at some of the shows, mainly DeForest. I have a few items around that make great wall hangings for every gear heads shop or Rec. room. Is there a place on this site I can post some Pic’s of the for sale items ?
    NOTE: All Vehicle pinstriping will be on hold until the spring as we are moving and the new shop will be remodeled.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome jbgood thumbsup.gif

Last year was my first time going to the DeForest Show, and I really enjoyed the “relaxed” atmosphere. As I recall, this show was earlier in the year which made it special, along with perfect weather for that show.

Marshall

GTO Man

jbgood, we used to have a swap meet section. We will add that back out there to post things for sale.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I hit the Boondockers by mistake icon_scratch.gif It should have been the Automotion show. Although the Automotion show is on pavement and no shade i always see something new in the crowd each year. I would like to make it to The Boondockers. Anybody have any info. on this one ?

I changed it for you. Here’s the info for the Boondockers Show from last year.

For the Automotion show as well as many others we have topics where you can “rate” the show – Rate The Automotion 2006 Car Show – and also pictures from Automotion.

The World of Wheels event sounds interesting! I’m planning on breaking up the winter by making a trip to the museum in Hartford, it sounds like they have a lot of nice cars there on display including a Tucker right now.

You can upload your pinstripping or any other photos you have (car-related, personal, w/e) to the Photo Gallery. Let me know if you have any questions about how to upload. Also as GTO Man mentioned we have a Swap Meet Area for listing items for sale.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, Thanks for all the info. I’ll try and post some of the items for sale.
    After Sunday I’ll have very limited access to the internet as we are moving on Monday. I’ll be doing a Lil’ searching for a new cable system of some type as we are moving out in the country and will have to have some type of dish network. I’m out’a here for the weekend, See ya’ soon
    ……………………………………J.B. Good

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Sounds good. Best of luck with your moving. Let us know when you get back on!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

JB Good, have you gotten all settled in yet?

I was thinking about this some more today and I was thinking about entertainment, what things are good/bad at the shows? Obviously music is something we see at a lot of them. What kind of music is good/bad? Also, would other things be nice to see ie the model T engine put-together contest at Cross Plains or special “rare” cars on display, swap meets, live entertainment, etc. What would you like to see as far as entertainment at the shows?

Viewing 12 replies - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.