Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Gas Price Roll Call

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s the going rate for gas in your part of the world? Currently this is what I am seeing in the Houston area.

87 octane – $2.09/gallon
    91 octane – $2.15/gallon
    93 octane – $2.22/gallon

I filled up last Thursday and it cost me $29.00 to fill up the tank in the Mustang, which is the highest I have ever paid. The way my motor has been tuned I have no choice but to use 93 octane. When I filled up that day there was a Hummer H2 behind me and I can tell from the owner’s face he was dreading the final tally. He filled up on 87 octane and when everything was said and done he had to fork over $50.00.

The sad thing was that he will probably have to fill up again in a couple of days.

Viewing 15 replies - 271 through 285 (of 392 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

Drill here, drill now. The minute we even make mention of it the Arab’s sharpen there pencil…

GTO Man

Regular – 3.79
    Mid grade – 3.89
    Premium – 3.99

4-09-2011

GTO Man

One advantage of high gas prices is fewer cars on the road.

moparkid25
    Participant

I see its up to $3.85/gal for regular now :(

We need to drill here, on our shores, and in Alaska, and we need to do it now. Once the market becomes competitive, the prices will drop.

I’m blaming Obama, because all of his mouthbreather supporters blamed Bush :laugh:

GTO Man

I doubt anything is going to change. The entities(corporations) who run this country could care less about us suckers. All they care about are their profits. Whether it is the price of gas, drugs, or another product we are a cash cow to milk dry. Unfortunately this country has become a joke to the rest of the world. The standard of living in most other parts of the world is moving upward fast, while the opposite is happening here. There is nothing wrong with their standard rising, but unfortunately it seems some of it is at our expense. And the corporations who run this country aren’t willing to do anything about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    There is nothing wrong with their standard rising, but unfortunately it seems some of it is at our expense.

Well, at the expense of coming off like a whiner… Something to consider, is that for decades the U.S. has been enjoying a standard of living which has often come at other countries’ expense. It’s interesting to talk about this subject with someone who grew up in Central or South America.

Whether it’s artificially low gas prices (try buying petrol in Europe…), or exporting the pesticides that aren’t legal in the U.S. anymore, our (U.S.) profits often outpace our moral concerns.

I do not support unfettered expansion of domestic oil drilling. We really don’t need another Exxon Valdez, nor another BP disaster. These accidents aren’t a case of “if” they’ll occur, but merely “when”.

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy my gas-guzzling vehicles as much as most people. But there are dwindling supplies of oil, and increasing demand for fuel worldwide. Our current situation is unsustainable. Think I’m wrong? Why do you think the gas prices keep going up?? Ever heard of Supply and Demand?

As far as I can tell, the costs to own, maintain, and operate our favorite gas-powered hobby vehicles will continue to rise. Perhaps the smartest thing we might be able to do to help our hobby would be to support alternative energy to the best of our abilities. (!!!) That way, we’d maintain our supply of, and minimize the demand for, any remaining oil.

Of course, we could just drill another well, and keep shoveling the profits toward the oil industry. Lord knows we can rely on them to watch out for our collective best interests. That’s worked out so well… :whistle:

Just something to think about…

And Moparkid,

Do you really want to turn this forum into a bunch of name-calling? Really? Last I remember, you wrote about how unappealing the political stabbing here was. What happened? I don’t know what you mean by:

Quote:
    mouthbreather supporters

, but I voted for the man and don’t appreciate getting called names over it.

I give you the respect to support your choice of candidate and vote accordingly. I may not agree with you, but I do this without badmouthing you. I’d appreciate the same respect.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Paul-Underwood wrote:
    Quote:
    There is nothing wrong with their standard rising, but unfortunately it seems some of it is at our expense.

Well, at the expense of coming off like a whiner… Something to consider, is that for decades the U.S. has been enjoying a standard of living which has often come at other countries’ expense. It’s interesting to talk about this subject with someone who grew up in Central or South America.

Whether it’s artificially low gas prices (try buying petrol in Europe…), or exporting the pesticides that aren’t legal in the U.S. anymore, our (U.S.) profits often outpace our moral concerns.

I do not support unfettered expansion of domestic oil drilling. We really don’t need another Exxon Valdez, nor another BP disaster. These accidents aren’t a case of “if” they’ll occur, but merely “when”.

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy my gas-guzzling vehicles as much as most people. But there are dwindling supplies of oil, and increasing demand for fuel worldwide. Our current situation is unsustainable. Think I’m wrong? Why do you think the gas prices keep going up?? Ever heard of Supply and Demand?

As far as I can tell, the costs to own, maintain, and operate our favorite gas-powered hobby vehicles will continue to rise. Perhaps the smartest thing we might be able to do to help our hobby would be to support alternative energy to the best of our abilities. (!!!) That way, we’d maintain our supply of, and minimize the demand for, any remaining oil.

Of course, we could just drill another well, and keep shoveling the profits toward the oil industry. Lord knows we can rely on them to watch out for our collective best interests. That’s worked out so well… :whistle:

Just something to think about…

And Moparkid,

Do you really want to turn this forum into a bunch of name-calling? Really? Last I remember, you wrote about how unappealing the political stabbing here was. What happened? I don’t know what you mean by:

Quote:
    mouthbreather supporters

, but I voted for the man and don’t appreciate getting called names over it.

I give you the respect to support your choice of candidate and vote accordingly. I may not agree with you, but I do this without badmouthing you. I’d appreciate the same respect.

My position on the drilling is that people come first. Heating oils for those who live in cold climates, fuel at a reasonable price so consumers can travel and get to work, and help rebound this country. If people can travel affordibly, they will spend money. I don’t look at drilling here as a corporate profit scheme. I would rather we keep our money here, in our country. I understand the environmentalists’ stand point of how the wildlife could be compromised, but its natural selection. People come first. The environmentalists have to make a choice – If you want to use electricity, we burn coal. If you want to lower gas prices, we need to drill for oil here. We have wind energy, which I totally support. Disasters like the BP incident or Exxon Valdez could happen in the mid east just as they could happen off the coast of Virginia. Like any business, there is chance. I also have yet to see anyone come up with an actual count of how much crude oil there is left. There are capped oil wells here in the USA that we could access without building new rigs.

And in regards to my comment, it was in reference to those who accused GWB of tweaking the market for his rich Texas oil tycoon buddies for profit. The President does not set the oil and fuel prices, yet those who were opposed to a Republican President blamed Bush. Now that Obama is in office, no one from that side is placing any blame on the President…. And I find that weird. My comment was not directed at you, or any other person on this forum. I agree namecalling is childish, but on the other hand we don’t need to be overly sensitive either.

As someone who drives a truck, the price of fuel won’t convince me to drive anything else. I do enjoy my hobby car, and it is just that. I’ve also owned cars where the fuel for them costed $6+ a gallon. As what happened the last time fuel cost $4.10 a gallon, people quit driving. The price went down. Our economy needs to stay on the upswing, not be kept in a constant constraint.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Moparkid,

My comment was not directed at you, or any other person on this forum. I agree namecalling is childish, but on the other hand we don’t need to be overly sensitive either.

Why even post comments that are not directed towards anyone here? Is it just to foment trouble?

If you agree that name-calling is childish, why do it in the first place, other than to incite others to respond in kind? I guess I’m missing the point.

You brought up “natural selection”. I guess you’d be interested in a related topic; extinction.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction

Time will tell, whether we’re actually disrupting our own gene sequence by our exposure to petroleum and plastics, as discussed here:
    http://www.chem-tox.com/

Yes, we could probably sustain our petro-based economy for a while by expanding our production of, and reliance on, domestic oil. Or we could pursue alternatives which might be better in the long run. I’m not sure that oil is the wisest choice.

It looks like many foreign countries are already embracing the change. This article is from a reputable right-wing source: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/business/energy-environment/31renew.html

Anonymous
    Inactive
    GTO Man wrote:
    I doubt anything is going to change. The entities(corporations) who run this country could care less about us suckers. All they care about are their profits. Whether it is the price of gas, drugs, or another product we are a cash cow to milk dry. Unfortunately this country has become a joke to the rest of the world. The standard of living in most other parts of the world is moving upward fast, while the opposite is happening here. There is nothing wrong with their standard rising, but unfortunately it seems some of it is at our expense. And the corporations who run this country aren’t willing to do anything about it.

I thought Obama was going to “change” all this, turns out he’s in there back pocket too.
    Like they say……Money talks…..BS walks!!!:laugh:

circletrack
    Participant

Went up 20 cents today… most stations on the way home were over the $4 mark… Yippee!!! More money out of my pocket I should be paying bills and feeding my kids with… there is nothing wrong with this world we live in, nothing at all! :(

GTO Man

$70 to fill my car up today, most ever for my daily driver. Little less than 1/4 tank to start.

Regular – 3.95
    Mid grade – 4.05
    Premium – 4.15

4/15/2011

GTO Man

Regular – 4.09
    Mid grade – 4.19
    Premium – 4.29

Racing – 7.00

Racing fuel is the same as last year. Premium at 4.29 is at the low end with some stations at 4.49 and as high as 4.65.

GTO Man

June 14 2011

Regular – 3.65
    Mid-grade – 3.75
    Premium – 3.85

GTO Man

June 27, 2011

Regular – 3.45
    Mid grade – 3.55
    Premium – 3.65

Racing – 7.00

At least prices are working their way down a little.

GTO Man

August 6, 2011

Regular – 3.49
    Mid grade – 3.59
    Premium – 3.69

Racing – 7.00

Viewing 15 replies - 271 through 285 (of 392 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.