Welcome Forum Car Shows Cars on State Street

• Creator
    Topic
    circletrack
    Participant

Received an email about this show today. Has anyone been to this bar or know anything about it? That’s a tough time of year, so early.

I’ve never been to a local show before that’s $15 and requires approval before you set foot at the location. Should be interesting.

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    circletrack
    Participant

A few in the Road Apples were accepted while others surprisingly were not. I have no idea what they based their decisions on, it should be an interesting event.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this show goes. I was down to state street the other day and I had forgotten how narrow the street is, I think the parking will be a challenge

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t know what more to say about this show. I hope that it turns out to be a huge success. Maybe it won’t though. At least, not this first year. If this first show doesn’t end up being a huge success, then I am sure that next year’s show will be. One can’t underestimate “lesssons learned”.

As for me, and others that I have discussed this with, we will see you in Concord at the Boondocker’ Street Rod Club Icebreaker show. It’s a bit further than State Street, but an “established” show with lots to look forward to. When it comes to “applying” for a spot in a first annual “local” car show in Madison, I won’t be a part of that. I can understand and accept applyiing for a recognized show such as the Good Guys show, or NSRA Milwaukee Nationals, or MSRA Back to the 50s weekend, but this?

Marshall

Amigo2k

here is some new info on their website:

Quote:
    What: More than 100 classic cars will line State Street from the Capitol Square to Library Mall, making it a perfect day to come downtown, take a stroll to see the cars and talk to the owners, plus grab a bite to eat or shop for a last-minute Mother’s Day gift.

The Cars: Cars on display will range from a red-and-white 1932 Packard Boattail Roadster to a 1957 Chevy Stretch Limo, a 1969 Shelby GT500 Mustang (one of the fastest cars in the show), and a 1976 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow.

Quote:
    Celebrity judges include Brett Bielema, Barry Alvarez, Matt Joseph and two Mad Rollin’ Dolls

Preview Saturday May 5: A 1967 Corvette convertible, owned by Jack Garver of The Fanny Garver Gallery, will be parked on the 100 block of State Street (near the Capitol Square) from 12 pm to 2 pm on Saturday May 5, during the Dane County Farmers’ Market.

moparkid25
    Participant

Typical left wing event-the cars are ok as long as its the ones THEY like.

I talked with cirlcetrack yesterday about this, some vehicles that were allowed entry into this show I have seen, and are not the nicest cars in the local show circuit, where others with extremely nice cars (such as hers) were declined entry.

I’m usually a “glass is half full” optimistic kinda guy, but I’ve a pretty good feeling this show is gonna bomb.

icon_headbang.gif

circletrack
    Participant

Call me clueless here ~ but what do two “Mad Rollin Dolls” have to do with cars and/or know what they are judging? I’m sure they are very nice people but if I’m paying $15 I want someone that knows the difference between a Chevrolet and a Ford.

Amigo2k

Well I headed back up to the farmers market today and the Vette to promote the show was there. I checked out the car for about 60 seconds, and within that time the guy handing out flyer’s asked 2 people to stop touching and leaning on the car …

[img]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/rendres/web/vette.JPG[/img]

GTO Man

I think that will be one of the big issues with that show. Many people will have no idea about what you do and don’t do at a car show. That is the main reason I didn’t submit any entries. Some people are lacking common sense, they have no idea what the cars are worth or how hard it is to get them to that point.

circletrack
    Participant

Yikes! It could be a blessing in disguise I wasn’t chosen!

The last thing we need is paint scratches and other issues the first show of the year! dontknow.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Yeah that picture is shocking to a car guy! :yikes:

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I’ll bring back the report on how this goes tomorrow since I don’t have enough time tomorrow to go to Boondockers. It will be interesting!

Amigo2k

I made it up to St. Street from 12-2. Tons and tons of people and i can’t say I have ever seen so many folks with cameras before.

The older cars were at the top of state street.

There was a wide range of cars; from Hudsons, to Camero’s to Jags to a couple of mustangs ….

I didn’t see any issues with so many people other then all the folks on roller blades and bikes.

I took some photos and forwarded them on to be posted (including a nice shot from the capital down St. Street).

I over heard one guy over my sholder say, “wow this looks like a very successfull event” I turned and it was Berry Alverize and Brett B.

Most of the cars were very quality cars, and well picked.

Now, would I want my car? Sure. I personally don’t think my car is of the right quailty as compaired to the other cars that were there.

no clue on the awards, it had to be a little odd due the cars being over 5 blocks.

circletrack
    Participant

I talked to one of our members today and he said the crowd was quite large, no doubt due to the incredible weather we had today. He thought it was a good time also and won the “Best Getaway Car” award. He said the judging was basically them looking at your car and liking it or not. I didn’t hear anything else on the awards, maybe they will list them on their website?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lots and lots of spectators. I would have to say it was a success. I wish they would have started setting up earlier, though. Also, they had the cars parked on one side of State Street. I would have preferred seeing them parked at an angle in the middle of the street, but mayb there were safety reasons why they couldn’t do that. One of the event organizers also suggested that the show would become annual and given its success, they could see it growing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Turned out to be a lovely day. I guess they had to turn a lot of cars away because of space. They can only line one side of the street to make way for emergency vehicles. Yes the bikers were annoying though some did heed the rules of no riding. We also saw some parents hold up the kids to see in the cars while their feet banged on the car doors, ouch 😯 and then there were the ones with the strollers hitting the cars too!
    The worst thing was trying to find parking! What are they thinking with doing this and the farmers market too????

Viewing 15 replies - 46 through 60 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.